Principles for User-Interface Design

Alejandro Tejada capellan2000 at yahoo.com
Wed Jun 22 16:35:57 EDT 2005

on Wed, 22 Jun 2005
Judy Perry wrote:

> I especially got a kick out of reading what he had
> to say about
> user-configurable UIs and MS Word 6 for Mac.
>
> Basically, his take was that user-configurable UIs
> are a TERRIBLE idea
> but, that in the case of Word 6 for Mac, the UI was
> already such a total
> piece of crap that anything that a user could do to
> "screw it up" with
> custom configuration could only be a step up.

Hi Judy,

Have you see how "configurable" is the
interface of Macromedia FreeHand MX?

In the computer classroom, last week, i noticed
the most bizarre behavior from FreeHand MX.
Every student "done" and "undone" the MX interface
at will, so in the end, i had to spend the first
15 minutes every day to return FreeHand to the
state of the previous day.
And some days, it was necessary to reinstall the
program, to revert all changes... :-(

I don't know how easy is for other teachers
to cope with this situation in computer labs.

Fortunately, PhotoShop do not allows
this Freedom of GUI, so i do not waste
time returning it to a previous state. :-)

al

Visit my site:
http://www.geocities.com/capellan2000/