Food Fight - Rev Name Space

John Ridge ridge11103 at btinternet.com
Wed Jun 22 15:33:09 EDT 2005

on 22/6/05 5:51 pm,  Ken Ray wrote :

Both you and Paul Looney have suggested that a registry start being kept...
so if you want to email me with your company prefix (unless you're going to
use HAP), I'll start setting up a document and posting it at the Rev Interop
group (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/revInterop/).

In fact, you should go over there and download the latest (Draft 004)
specification so you can see how the globals/etc. are used. You'll see the
second part of the string is relative to your product name, so you can use
anything you like since the company prefix is unique.

Ken Ray
******************************
Thanks for posting this, Ken - I was beginning, thanks to Katir amongst
others, to see that there is a real problem here even for garage scripters
(sorry, Dan - Inventive Users :-)), and wondered if this particular penny
had dropped at RunRev. It seems that the great and good have it in hand.
Maybe the rest of us should know about this?

Personally I don't have a problem with constraints (my first language was
Fortran - whoops, FORTRAN - enough said already). All I need is a
justification! At a local, personal level Hungarian makes a lot of sense -
it's much the same as putting labels on the drawers in the filing cabinet?
At a more global level, now someone has pointed out the beartraps (Xavier,
passim), I'd be happy to follow conventions. Especially if the software
helps - see Dennis Brown's recent post.

Thanks again
John