Food Fight - Rev Name Space

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Wed Jun 22 12:51:53 EDT 2005

On 6/22/05 1:50 AM, "Sivakatirswami" <katir at hindu.org> wrote:

> If I understand the ECMI convention proposal correctly I should start
> using a double prefix as in:
>
> <Company="HAP"> Himalayan Academy Publications
>
>      # where do I go to register this officially with ECMI?
>
> e.g. 1 <Main Stack Name= ATRA > Audio Transcriber.rev
> e.g. 2: <Main Stack Name= PCAP> Photo Caption Writer.rev
>
> What then does the global nameing convention become? (I do think
> separators help readability)
>
> gHAP_ATRA_FilePath
> gHAP_PCAP_DateString
>
> Am I close?

Sort of... the company name is something that should be unique and
understood by others implementing RIP (this was a recent change - "ECMI" is
the metadata standard, while RIP is the Revolution Interoperability Protocol
and is used to manage the interoperability issues like namespaces).

Both you and Paul Looney have suggested that a registry start being kept...
so if you want to email me with your company prefix (unless you're going to
use HAP), I'll start setting up a document and posting it at the Rev Interop
group (http://groups.yahoo.com/group/revInterop/).

In fact, you should go over there and download the latest (Draft 004)
specification so you can see how the globals/etc. are used. You'll see the
second part of the string is relative to your product name, so you can use
anything you like since the company prefix is unique.

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software
Web site: http://www.sonsothunder.com/
Email: kray at sonsothunder.com