Recording Sound in Windows?

Nicolas Cueto nicolas_cueto at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 21 19:54:24 EDT 2005

Hello Sharon,

When using "record sound", I too have encountered the
"Low Disk Space"etc etc behaviours you described, and,
like yourself, I'm quite certain (well, ok, I'm kind of certain)
that the problem is not my Win hardware or even the
QuickTime configuration.

(Before going on to my advice, though, if anyone else is
listening in, I was wondering if perhaps this should be
reported as a bug? Something I don't like to do, since my
basic belief is that, when there's a problem, it's probably
my inexpertise rather than RunRev that's at fault.)

Anyway, my *Windows-only* solution was to rely on
MCISendString instead of QuickTime. Here's the script
I use in one of my EFL  stacks, for students to record
their voice indefinitely:

on mouseUp
 if the hilited of me is true then -- START RECORDING
    put tPathToFile & ".wav" into gRecordingName
    put MCISendString("open new type waveaudio alias mysound")
    put MCISendString("set mysound bitspersample 16 channels 1 samplespersec
22050")
    put MCISendString("record mysound")
  end if
  if the hilited of me is false then -- STOP RECORDING
    put MCISendString("stop mysound")
    put "save mysound" && quote & gRecordingName & quote into tString
    put MCISendString(tString)
    put MCISendString("close mysound")
  end if
end mouseUp

Also, in RevOnline's "User spaces" under "Programming" there's a
stack called "RecPlayWavMCI". That's what I used to learn about
MCISendString.

Cheers,
Nicolas Cueto
niconiko language school