Dev Tool Bugs, Assumptions, and a Tiny Bit of Advice

jbv jbv.silences at Club-Internet.fr
Tue Jun 21 16:54:39 EDT 2005

Dar Scott a *crit :

> > There's another recipe that I've been using for years :
>
> Perhaps these have in common the mental block, the assumption, the
> think I Know, that gets in the way.

Yes perhaps...
But I also think it has to do with the fact of seeing things from a
different angle (and both "recipes" have that in common, from a
cognitive psychology point of view)...

Just for the anecdote, here's how I "discovered" the 2nd recipe :
in 1986-87 I was already coding and sometimes had to stay at
work late at night because of some bug I couldn't locate.
A few times I gave up and decided to go back home and leave
the debugging task for the next morning. I had to drive for about
15 km to go back home, and almost every time, even if I had spent
hours trying (unsuccessfully) to locate that bug, then bingo ! the
solution used to pop up in my mind just after 5 min of driving, and
as my mind was wandering I don't know where...

JB