Food Fight

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Jun 21 02:49:34 EDT 2005

Dennis Brown wrote:
> Dar,
>
> Thank you for standing up for the rights (in a good natured way) of
> those who think it's overkill to have all these structured names in a
> conversational language with handlers that are usually only a few  lines
> long.  Why mar the elegance of a understandable name with  cryptic
> unpronounceable prefix letters all over the place?

Agreed wholeheartedly.  As I noted in the Script Style Guide at
<http://www.fourthworld.com/embassy/articles/scriptstyle.html> and as
Ken noted in the ECMI draft at
<http://groups.yahoo.com/group/revInterop/>, none of this is about
cramping anyone's style.  If you have something that works for you, by
all means keep using it.

The naming conventions Ken and I outlined only attempt to help minimize
potential for name-space conflicts.  If you're making only standalones
then abbreviated object naming conventions are of minimal value, but if
you make tools or libraries to be distributed to others you'll need, for
example, some way to distinguish between your stack's "About" box and
those of other stacks.

At present there are more dozens of prolific tool authors for the Rev
community, and the number grows every month.  There are a handful of
issues with the development and deployment of tools that are common to
all, and by choosing to adopt a few fully-optional rules about how
things are put together we can collectively ensure robust and reliable
performance for all of them.

In the case of the ECMI recommendations this goes a step further from
simply not stepping on other tools to allowing graceful integration of
various tools.

One should ideally be able to tailor their workspace with tools from any
toolmaker, and expect that they'll all work without conflict.  This is
full realizable with little effort.

And for those who use tools but do not make them, it should all be
transparent.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal