Scripting conference - Properties stack uploaded (Kat)

Kat katherine.w.c at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 21:38:57 EDT 2005

Marielle Lange <M.Lange at ed.ac.uk> wrote:

    Dear Kat,

    About http://rugusa.linguistix.net Intrigued by the name, I followed
    the link (I
    am a psycholinguist).

Small world (although lots of s/w developers seem to have a Linguistics
background). I have a B.A. in the subject from Univ. of Hawaii at Manoa.
My studies never progressed far enough for me to be a hyphenated
Linguist, but my emphasis was in A.I. and pycholinguistics from the
perspective of (esp. language-) learning mechanisms and strategies. I
got distracted by CD-R technology about a dozen years ago, though, and
am only now returning to those roots.

    RevUG USA Wiki: "This is the prototype for a Wiki homepage for
    Revolution User
    Groups USA."

    Good idea to create a wiki. It's good to see the community extending its
    presence on the web too. But does its title means that only
    Americans are
    invited to participate? :-( I thought wikis were about open
    collaboration,
    without the usual frontiers (hierarchy or borders).

I'm sure we have no intention of being "exclusive" but the original
purpose of this site was actually to support the organization of a
Southeastern US Rev User Group, then it expanded to included maybe the
eastern US, or maybe all the US (except there's already a couple of
other groups out there).  Anyone from the Rev community is of course
welcome to participate, and we'd be very happy to have your input!  The
Web, as you've noted, has no borders.

     >From wiki owner to wiki owner, I would really recommend you use
    (unrestricted)
    registration... this is to prevent  automatic spam like this:
    http://wiki.ael.be/rmll2003/index.php/SandBox, from happening.

Thanks for the suggestion. I know spamming is a problem -- I've faced
that on some of the blogs I run. We may need to lock it down at some
point, but right now we're trying to keep it simple.  I do monitor the
site regularly (using the RSS feed), so if we did get an attack it could
be controlled quickly. And since it's on a different port from 80 or
8080, I don't think auto-spamming is that likely to happen anyway.  Most
'bots are pretty limited in scope, and exploring different ports may be
beyond them. This particular wiki lives in RAM, anyway. There are no
static pages to be indexed or database to be corrupted. That makes it
more difficult to promote, but at the same time perhaps a little more
secure.

Thanks for your note, and for visiting our Rev UG wiki!  I hope you'll
come back soon.

Cheers,
Kat