icons

Jon jbondy at sover.net
Fri Jun 17 11:16:29 EDT 2005

Klaus Major wrote:

> Hi Jon,
>
>> Any hints as to how to make an Icon file that Rev is happy with?
>

> you will need an icon editor :-)

Wouldn't it be nice if the documentation actually said this, instead of
making the vague statements it does?

>> It won't take Windows icon files, and, as usual, the documentation
>> is pretty vague
>

> Since it is the documentation for Revolution and not for creating
> platform specific images/icons...

Well, since it won't take platform specific icon files that work with
other applications on the platform, I'd say it needs to say SOMETHING
about what the customer is supposed to do here.

> There isn't even a slightest hint on how to create images in JPG
> format :-p
>
>> ("For a guide to creating yuour [sic] .ico format file use the
>> examples in the Sample
>> Icons folder of the Revolution distribution.", whatever "use" might
>> mean).
>

> "use" means, since the icon format changed some time ago, you can
> check how the
> new icon format has to look like and USE one of the sample icons as
> examples in an icon editor.

Then they need to talk about what specific icon editor, or features, are
needed.  I already HAVE an icon editor, and icons, and none of them work
with Rev.

> The new format is the XP icon format and consists of 9 different
> (internal) icons actually.

Was that ever stated in the documentation?

> 48*48 pixel, 32 bit
> 32*32 pixel, 32 bit
> 16*16 pixel, 32 bit
> 48*48 pixel, 8 bit
> 32*32 pixel, 8 bit
> 16*16 pixel, 8 bit
> 48*48 pixel, 4 bit
> 32*32 pixel, 4 bit
> 16*16 pixel, 4 bit
>
> I use Axialis IconWorkshop, the only Windows software i ever needed
> and bought :-)
> http://www.axialis.com
>
> Maybe you can find some freeware editors on the net...

The following worked fine for me, although I have a sense that I will be
getting some emails from them trying to sell me their products:

http://www.snapfiles.com/freeware/gmm/fwicontools.html