What gives with Sockets?

Thomas McCarthy tominjapan at excite.com
Tue Jun 14 22:47:21 EDT 2005

Hi, builiding a simple server and client. Simple stuff--open a port on the server and listen. Write to the server from the client.

I had it working at home (mac OS 8.6 and win98). then I brought it to work (OSX and NT4) no good. It failed both ways (mac as server/win client and vice versa) This shouldn't be rocket science.

I did something like this about 4 years ago in MetaCard and vaguely remember pulling out some hairs then, too.

could there be some Ethernet-hub thing going on? I think I've got the addresses all right. Argggghhhh!

tom