value function fails for multi-line input

Dick Kriesel dick.kriesel at mail.com
Tue Jun 14 14:45:22 EDT 2005

Thanks, Pat, for the suggestions about the examples I posted.  But the
examples are just simple recipes to reproduce the failure.

Actually I have handlers that generate much more involved expressions.  I
need those expressions evaluated in the context of particular objects that
the handlers identify.  So I tried the "value(expression,object)" syntax.
But that fails when the expression includes a multi-line string.

The "value(expression,object)" syntax seems to be the functional analog of
the "send message to object" syntax.  The message parameter of the send
command supports multi-line strings; so, I think, should the expression
parameter of the value function.

So the work-around for this failure of the value function is generating a
message instead of an expression, then sending the message and getting the
result.  I think the language designers intended to make the extra step
unnecessary.

-- Dick