Piracy

Andre Garzia soapdog at mac.com
Mon Jun 13 12:52:23 EDT 2005

On Jun 13, 2005, at 1:39 PM, Dan Friedman wrote:

> Greetings!
>
> Has anyone come up with a decent way to deal with piracy?  I'm getting
> ready
> to release a commercial application and wondered if there is anyway to
> stop
> someone from just giving it to a friend.
>
> [I would like my application to function off-line.  So, doing a
> look-up via
> the web is out.]
>
> Any thoughts, ideas or solutions out there?
>
> Thank you in advance,
> Dan

Dan,

I don't think that such method exists. Beware of creating anoying
methods for this will just piss up you users. A simple scheme is the
serial number tied to an email, if it leaks, at least you'll know who
leaked it. I don't think no one will ever be able to enforce good
piracy protection, even hardware keys can be cracked. The best practice
is be just with your price, create  simple serial number scheme. Create
quality apps that make people want to buy (Like: "he is such a nice
guy, let us help him.")

cheers
andre

Andre Alves Garzia ð 2004 ð BRAZIL