names of saved files

Jon jbondy at sover.net
Mon Jun 13 11:30:12 EDT 2005

I want users to be able to create/save a file.  The save dialog comes
up, and they can only see *.INI files (I'm using a filter).  If they
type "FRED", I want the saved file to be "FRED.INI".  I can force the
".INI" at the end of the "FRED" after they enter "FRED", but then the
save dialog does not correctly detect that the file is "FRED.INI", so it
does not warn the user that they might over-write that file.  I can, of
course, do this manually, but most development environments provide for
a "default extension", which is appended to "FRED" automatically.

All of this is handled correctly with other development systems.  What
am I missing here?

:)

Jon