OT Vertical White Space (line breaks) in XML

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Thu Jun 9 17:36:14 EDT 2005

Sorry that this XML newbie is using this forum for help, but, well,
what better place to go?

We are using Revolution interfaces for generating XML docs that will
be destined for the web (via XSL transformations)  and later print
production,  one caveat is where I made (perhaps a bad) decision to
wrap all the data of the main body of the text in <![CDATA[   in
otherwise very simple docs like this:

<audio_transcript>
   <header>
         <subject>Some Title</subject>
         <date_given>2005-01-01</given>
                 ## more header child nodes with other info...##
     </header>
<transcript_text>
<![CDATA[
      Conditions in the world today are certainly troubling, with
wars between countries, wars within countries, plus a serious threat
of international terrorist acts.  etc...
      New 2nd paragraph...  The shocking attacks in New York on
September 11, 2001, naturally heightened everyone’s concern about
these problems.
     3rd paragraph... One of the immediate consequences of 9/11 was
the television coverage depicting people in a number of countries who
do not much like, some even strongly hate, the United States, even to
the point of wishing violence upon it. Watching these startling
reports on television, we were again reminded of the extent and
seriousness of the problem of prejudice in the world today.
etc...
]]>
     </transcript_text>
</audio_transcript>

Caveat: how to get the line breaks back into the <![CDATA[ section in
a XSL transform process?

I did a "cheat" test and marked up all the paras with
[CDATA[  is not interpreted... the web page displays the <p> as
literals, on screen, so, yes, that's what is supposed to happen to
CDATA, but not what we want.

In the Rev interfaces the field that holds the main text has simple
line breaks (1 cr or 2 cr's where an  extra blank line is wanted...)
So, I've just been passing out the entire field to the CDATA
section... possibly this is where I went wrong... any help
appreciated... email me off list if this is too far off list.. though
others here may want to know...

OK now, off to the web to see if I can find this in the ocean of XML
resources..

TIA

Sivakatirswami