A reason for threading errors in Mail.app

Dennis Brown see3d at writeme.com
Thu Jun 9 16:30:34 EDT 2005

Dan and Mac Mail.app users and anyone who replies to messages,

I have noticed that Mail.app seems to put seemingly unrelated threads
into an existing thread at times.  I think I see a possible
explanation for this.  In addition to the usual method of looking at
the subject text, I think mail.app also fingerprints messages
somehow, so it knows when a reply is to that message --even if the
subject line is altered.  So if somebody starts a new thread by
replying to a thread I started or replied to, just to get the header
info, then replaces the body and subject lines to a new topic, my
Mail.app assumes it is still related to the original message.  I just
tested out this theory by replying to a thread I started, but I
changed everything about the message except the To: line.  Sure
enough the message came back threaded to the unrelated message I
started it from.

A case of too smart for its own good!

Dennis