Economics & Eye Candy

MisterX b.xavier at internet.lu
Tue Jun 7 15:17:17 EDT 2005

> Surprise: the economics are tied to the eye candy.
>
> Regards,
>
> Scott Rossi

Good arguments Scott, but i disagree still

the economics are based on the sales... marketshare...
Industry standards...

Sure the mac is prettier, like a bmw, but it's still
not the bmw they lease for the common company driver.

No matter how you twist the argument, the law of
supply and demand will rule... More technicians to managers.

Rev may be a development management tool, it aint the common programmer's
heaven... (a thematic hyper-twist between the lines)

in my company, it's 3000 seats... sun emc and MS. Major enterprise tools,
the more they cost, the more likely they will be bought...

i seriously dont see how apple could vantage one "enterprise" feature...
even security... You'd have to rely on specific hardware - not mac os.
Databases? Oracle - Production CPU? Sun or mainframe. Clients? 3000 PCs or
thin clients (as is now the fashion in reducing costs in workstation
leases). So if Rev still doesn't work in Metaframe environments, it's not a
problem but it's still an eye sore for any developper who can't distribute
1000 of anything to a larger more enterprise client. That's economic losses
for (not me) the many PC=rent developpers among you.

I dont say rev is not capable, it's just not being done the way i would have
expected in terms of cross-platform or enterprise "quality and feel" as it's
being done for the "minority" of potential mac client. The performance and
lack of object/array programming is coming i hope soon - probably after my
license expires. Meanwhile, i was able to develop these myself and that's
where i see the eye-candy... The economics of a good programming design.
After 15 years. How many of you are going to wait to get these benefits?
That's opportunity cost for all of us...

cheers
Xavier
http://monsieurx.com/taoo