platform stuff.

MisterX b.xavier at internet.lu
Tue Jun 7 13:19:43 EDT 2005

 im happy to port what i like in the mac into the pc world. Given
Rev's lack of pc support in windows standards is a bit of a set
back. Menus for example which just can't be controlled like win32
menus with the keyboard or scrollwheel. It's a big productivity
buster. Switch back to the mouse back and forth.

GTR, Richard Burns Rally, CMR (arcade though) all have idiotic
and unbelievably incomfortable GUI switches from keyboard to
mouse to steering-wheel - not one of those Best ofs on PCs get
it right. Even ID Software get's it wrong. And you wonder why
I rave about these programs...

One exception: FruityLoops. Mouse, Keyboard, Keypad, Midi keyboard,
midi control(lers!!!! you know those tables with 240 buttons?), and
it's pure joy to control it all then differently... (yes, i can hook
up as many usb joysticks or formulas as i want for inputs to wobble
filter channel filter etc the sound anyway i want!

It's a matter of it being practical on the platform you use...
I wouldn't want to drive a car with a keyboard. I woudn't want
to use a mac without a keyboard (can you today?).

I'll give you a sample: at work i have 3 RDPs (remote desktop connections)
which goes up to 5 or 7 even, a constant 2-4 metaframes sessions,
email warnings and server states or disk space warnings showering from
different sources all day... Each seesion RDP, Meta, my PC (server style),
and on top the DSView Avocent screens (this is amazing technology!) is like
having 15 Servers or pcs in one screen! 3 programs where i have problems
constantly with copy paste: MetaCard, Lotus Notes and FireFox. Im forced to
use these... It's however a hell in copy paste 1984 technology.

So, yes, the mac is and was nice, kaleidoscope was great to emulate win3.1
and show it to your pc friends ;) But i can't imagine "today" on a mac what
i can do on a pc today. On the other hand, i can write my own dragthing and
office suite and what i want with rev - and it should work anywhere. So im
just hinting a few more issues that are important to the pc users among us
(or the linux users for that matter) where Rev keeps coming short in terms
of evolution (no revolution yet in these prospects).

The effort required has already been wasted as far as i can tell. Even Chipp
could have .com objects in your stacks before rev does. Next, he will have
.net objects... Im porting TAOO to VBS and we'll see where that takes me...
I need advancedDirectory management and other than using MS's limited gui's,
i can script it via Rev to control VBS. The only way to do that is to write
your own interpreter right?

NOT.

Forget xcode, forget bytecode.
Enter TAOO...