Intel Chip and DRM

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Mon Jun 6 23:08:56 EDT 2005

Earlier today, Chipp and I were yakking on the phone about some of
the implications of the Apple bombshell. He mentioned that he
wondered if activations would become as difficult and cumbersome for
Mac users as they are now for Windows users because of the use of DRM
technology.

Here's what Tidbits had to say on the subject a few minutes ago:

**DRM in the Chip** -- One aspect of this transition that could
   prove interesting, in all positive and negative connotations
   of the word, is the so-called "trusted computing" capabilities
   of Intel's CPUs. Little has been done with them yet, but as we
   understand these capabilities, they're designed to work with
   a Microsoft digital rights management (DRM) system. There's
   no telling if or how they may play into Apple's existing music
   or future video plans.