Uh-oh.... Anybody following WWDC?

Chipp Walters chipp at chipp.com
Mon Jun 6 21:32:18 EDT 2005

Chipp Walters wrote:
> Richard,
>
> Marketshare is all about sales per unit of time. SPA estimates computers
> currently in use. When Dell says they are #1 in Marketshare, it means
> they have sold more computers last qtr than anyone else. My
> recollection, is that Mac users have always been in the 10% and above,
> especially because Education still uses *older* Macs.

should read:
Mac users have always been in the 10% and above INSTALLED BASE

I don't agree with Alex's:

"The theory is that Wintel (or at least Windows) users need to upgrade
more frequently (because every new version of Windows is more bloated -
apparently new versions of OS X have been the same or even more efficient)."

Heck, WinXP came out after Win2000 and IMO (and many reviewers) was
faster than Win2000. I believe the reason they are updated more often is:

1) They are cheaper. I can get a Tiger Direct 2.X MHZ E-machine for
under $300, so I upgrade more frequently.

2) There are more models to chose from, more announcement of new
features, more 3rd party support. All of this marketing rhetoric gets
people excited about getting new machines.

3) Enterprise budgets allocate for purchasing departments, who must
purchase new machines. Lots of this money goes to making the Dell's
richer. Unfortunately, there aren't many Macs in Enterprise.

-Chipp