Uh-oh.... Anybody following WWDC?

Dennis Brown see3d at writeme.com
Mon Jun 6 17:51:54 EDT 2005

On Jun 6, 2005, at 4:26 PM, Chipp Walters wrote:
> Since 'Switching' to PC's in 96 when Apple went a full year w/out
> being able to supply our company with laptops, I can only hope they
> 'decide' to offer the Intel OSX on white-box computers. But, I'd be
> surprised if they did, as Jobs seems intent to provide both the
> hardware and software for all Apple products.
>
> IMO, if they did offer an Intel OSX for *other* computers, they
> *might* be able to give MS (and esp. the much delayed and
> underpowered Longhorn) a run for their money.

Chipp,

I think Apple made it quite clear in subsequent interviews that they
will NOT be making an OS X to run on anyone else's hardware.  They
did not rule out MS providing a Windows version to run on their new
Apptel hardware just as you can run Linux now.  It is quite clear
that Apple plans on continuing to supply a complete hardware/software
solution.

If you think about it, that is a smart marketing strategy --Buy your
hardware from us and you can run anything!

Dennis