dump newbie image questiosn

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Sun Jun 5 23:00:20 EDT 2005

On 6/5/05 8:32 PM, Jon wrote:

 > My viewer is not a standard viewer.  I've implemented a variety of
 > useful features that require that I manage each pixel individually
 > (basically doing custom and complex brightness and contrast
 > stretching).  Rev is way too slow to do anything like that.

I went to your web page and read up on you. ;) Now that I've looked at
it, I agree, your viewer is not a standard viewer so I retract my other
comments. If you do have to manipulate pixels then the consensus is that
Rev is too slow for larger images but okay for thumbnails and icons,
etc. We had a thread about this in May:

<http://lists.runrev.com/pipermail/use-revolution/2005-May/056782.html>

 >> When an image is locked this way, its
 >> contents will *scale* to fit the image object, rather than the object
 >> scaling to fit the image content.
 >
 > True, but it will scale in both directions, distorting it horribly.
 > This is not useful behavior, unless you want to fill a large space with
 > a small speck of blue.   It's ok for backrgounds, not for actual images.

Well, generally we calculate the dimensions before we set the image
size. ;) Then it works okay.

 >> As per above, if you leave the lockloc of the image object set to
 >> false, the image will automatically resize to the native dimensions.
 >
 > As per above, the image will be impossible to see, since it will be so
 > distorted

Images displayed at their native sizes don't distort; maybe I'm not
understanding something.

 > Maybe this is better left as a phone conversation <grin>

Or we can wait until you get so enthusiastic about Rev that you forget
what the learning curve was like. ;)

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com