RevOnlline Viewer connect problem

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Sun Jun 5 19:46:44 EDT 2005

Ray Stace wrote:

>I have asked RevSupport the following question, without luck so far, and
>Jacqueline suggested I also try the group: maybe someone here knows the
>answer...
>
>I have updated to Revolution 2.5.1, but cannot get any network connections
>to work from within Revolution [revOnline Viewer] so cannot access any of
>the channels in that utility.
>
>RevOnline viewer says ³There was an error while contacting the server.
>Please ensure that you have an active internet connection, and try again in
>a few moments.²
>I do have an active connection.
>
>RevNet says ³Check network connection and proxy setup in Preferences².
>I have set up proxy correctly, [HTTP proxy: proxy.uow.edu.au:8080].
>
>Computer setup:
>Mac OS X 10.3.7
>Revolution 2.5.1
>Yes, I am behind a firewall, but all other network connections work
>correctly with a variety of browsers.
>
>Why can¹t Revolution connect?

It's unlikely - but may be worth trying this .....
I had a vaguely similar problem (trying to connect to "My Space" on
RevOnline, not RevOnline in general).  We never did get a definitive
answer to what the problem was - but amongst the suggestions Mark W.
made then were

> One thing springs to mind, it might be that your version of the 'My
> Space'
> channel is out of date. Have you chosen the 'never check for updates'
> option
> in the preferences?
>
> If you have, then please try changing to 'once per session' and restart
> Revolution to ensure it downloads the new versions of the channels.
>
> If this doesn't work, please can you try deleting the Revolution
> preferences
> folder - it might be that there has been a strange interaction between
> the
> beta and the release versions. The actual location of this varies
> among the
> difference windows versions, but you can find out by doing:
>  put specialFolderPath(0x001a) in the message box. This directory will
> then contain a directory 'Revolution'
> that you should delete.

I had indeed checked the "never check for updates - because I was having
troubles due to Bugzilla 2117; unchecking that was probably part of the
solution.

We resolved my problem with a combination of resetting things, deleting
the preferences as above and, I'm afraid to say, turning off my firewall
for 10 seconds. In that 10 seconds, I connected once to RevOnline - and
immediately re-enabled the firewall. Thereafter, everything worked just
fine. There is no reason we could think of why that temporary disabling
of the firewall should help - and it may be that it didn't, it might
have been coincidence that that was the time it just worked.  (I was on
a Win2000 box, connecting via a Windows XP machine with Win XP Firewall
enabled).

In case it helps, the support ticket number was 200409041000615  (last
September)