Dreamcard Roadster in the future???

Ken Ray kray at sonsothunder.com
Sun Jun 5 10:20:30 EDT 2005

> http://www.littlefishsw.co.uk/card/roadster.html
>
> I have been surfing supercard websites... my impression:
>
> Plenty of very clever changes have been introduced in Dreamcard/revolution,
> compared to supercard, the IDE environment is a lot more practical in
> revolution (though I agree with others on this list that it could still be
> improved), the products that I have seen developed with revolution look more
> professional than the ones developed with supercard.
>
> I prefer Dreamcard/Revolution, by far... but the education market may polarize
> on the availability of this Roadster plugin which let them play their stacks
> over the net. Anybody is trying to address this?

Hey Marielle!

Well, the first thing you need to know is the Roadster only worked with
SuperCard 3.x under OS 9; they are currently at 4.5 under OS X and AFAIK
have no plans to upgrade the plugin.

Secondly, the Roadster plugin was mediocre at best - lots of stuff didn't
work, or didn't work properly, and although you could develop something
simple to play in the browser, it was hard to do something sophisticated for
the web.

I think it may actually be better if RunRev wants to consider running
content in a plugin that it consider outputing stacks to Flash and running
them with *that* plugin (since it is so ubiquitous) rather than creating
their own plugin.

But that's just my 2 cents,

Ken Ray
Sons of Thunder Software