bug

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Sat Jun 4 20:23:54 EDT 2005

Jon wrote:

> I know how to save/apply a script.  The fact is that, at least on my
> system, if I just do a <ctrl>-S or a Files/Save (script and stack),
> error messages do NOT appear and the Apply button becomes gray, even
> if there are errors.  If I kill the script editor, at least I get to
> see the error messages.

Jon - I think that is a large part of why you're seeing this problem so
often.

ctrl-S does a "Save stack"
It does NOT Apply any outstanding edits that you may have - and
therefore does not check for script errors.

IMHO that's a stupid thing for it to do - but that's what it does.  And
once you've done that "save stack", you have erroneous scripts saved in
the stack file, waiting to bite you later.

Usual thing to do is either
  click Apply  (if you are a mouse user)
  type the "enter" key (which may be a Fn combination, or a keypad
enter) to apply without closing editor window
  save/apply script   - on Windows, that's   ctrl-return    to close
script editor window and apply

I think there are still other problems - but remembering that ctrl-S
doesn't, in Rev, do what any Windows user would expect it to do will
avoid 95% of what you're seeing.

P.S.  it only took me about two weeks to stop myself from hitting ctrl-S
frequently :-) :-)