bug

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Sat Jun 4 20:13:55 EDT 2005

Alex Tweedly wrote:
> Jon wrote:
>
>> I'm confused: you and someone else claimed that they hit the <enter>
>> key to save a script, but when I hit the <enter> key, it just puts a
>> new line into the script!!!
>>
> Confusing naming of keys .....
>
> "enter" is normally, on Windows, (I believe) the keypad "enter" key, not
> the usual "enter/return/big-left-arrow/ ..." key
>
> I say "I believe" because I actually use a laptop, without a keypad, so
> for me to get "Enter" I need to use a Fn key combination (in my case,
> Fn/[ - marked as "enter" on the front edge of the key itself).

While the distinction might have been useful on Macs, Windows machines
have been mislabeling the Return key for years (almost all Wintel
keyboards label it "Enter").  That, along with PowerBooks fast
outnumbering desktop Macs, make any UI based on the distinction a risky
proposition.

I once loved doing that, but have had to design around it in recent
years, giving the same behaviors to both the true Enter and mislabeled
Return keys.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation