bug

Jon jbondy at sover.net
Sat Jun 4 14:12:45 EDT 2005

Dennis:

You said "lots of cracks in the IDE". I'd have to agree.

I've given up on saving scripts, and now only delete/kill the script
editors.  That way I'm SURE to see the error messages.  Far too often I
have "saved" a script and the save did not take, with no error window
visible.  Too bad window visibility is handled correctly during a script
editor kill, but not when saving a script.  It can't be that hard to do
the latter correctly if the former is correct.

Window visibility is a problem in general with the IDE: do an <alt><tab>
away from Rev and an <alt><tab> to go back, and a different window
appears within Rev, not the one you were working on.  Do a save and
focus flies away to a context other than the one you were working on.
Lots of windows pop up so that they cannot be controlled (kill or
minimize buttons hidden behind other windows) and many windows cannot be
hidden at all, and can only be killed, forcing the user to reactivate
them from scratch.

I like the (theoretical?) cross-platform aspect of Rev, and some things
are fairly easy to do in it, but the conceptual base is verbose and the
implementation is buggy.  Sigh.

Jon