mail client (OT)

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Fri Jun 3 12:02:32 EDT 2005

Chris Sheffield wrote:
 >>> I know this is totally off-topic, but as I'm looking for a good
 >>> mail  client to read this user list, I thought I'd ask here.  So
 >>> what's a  good one?  I've been using Apple Mail, but the fact that
 >>> it doesn't  keep track of the message threads very well is really
 >>> starting to  annoy me.  So I'd like to play with something else.
 >>> Any suggestions?
 >>
 >> I love Thunderbird --  secure, flexible, standards-based, regularly
 >> updated, and free:
 >> <http://www.mozilla.org/products/thunderbird/>
 >
 > That's kind of what I was thinking of trying.  Do you know if
 > Thunderbird will import all my account information from Mail (my
 > messages too would be nice)?

Hard to say. After having been burned by Apple's email discontinuations
in the past (iWorld and later the Emailer bundle) I don't trust them
with anything as critical to me as email.  I need longevity more than I
need pre-installation. :)

So without the benefit of having used Mail, I can only report what I
hear:  older versions are said to have used the standard MDB format for
the mail database, though this is said to have been abandoned with
Tiger. So if you're still pre-Tiger it may work well, and there may also
be AppleScripts and/or other solutions as well.

Given the number of Mac folks who use Thunderbird, I'd be surprised if
their forum didn't turn up an instant solution.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation