Protecting Log In Info

Sivakatirswami katir at hindu.org
Thu Jun 2 21:22:24 EDT 2005

This has been discussed before, but I just want to confirm.

If I have a stack with for example, an  FTP user and password in a
custom property and then set the password of this stack... that
custom prop ( and the stack scripts) will be encrypted and
unavailable in a text editor... Yes, I did test this myself, and
opening the stack in BBEdit gives me garble... so i'm thinking, yes
this works. but want a second opinion...

And, if a script in the stack wants to run an FTP process, after the
stack is open, the custom prop is available internally to the stack
scripts.

e.g.

set the uLogINs of this stack to "fooNameUser,barPassword"

scripts can later:

put item 1 of the uLogINs of this stack into tUser
put item 2 of the uLogINs of this stack into tPassword

put fld "yourEssayOnWhatever" into url ("ftp:" & tUser & ":" &
tPassword &"@somedomain.com/incoming/newEssay.txt")

This should work.. but the logIns are unavailable in any context
without the passkey... correct?

.and this is about as secure as we can make if where the goal is to
provide an FTP client to a third party that allows uploads to your
server.

Of course I know any packet sniffer can read the outgoing data and
that includes the log in packets... and just how problematic that
might be has everything to do with how you have your directory
structure and permissions set up on the server itself... but those
are  different issues...

Also, feel free to chime in with "Well that's one way... here is
another.... how I do it."

Thanks
Sivakatirswami