Shell command doesn't give feedback until done

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Thu Jun 2 17:20:32 EDT 2005

On Jun 2, 2005, at 2:37 PM, Brian Yennie wrote:

>> Do you know how to do that in OS X?  I tried some variations on shell
>> punctuation, but that didn't work for me.
>
> On OS X you should be able to just do:
>
> get shell("mycommand > mylogfile.log")

But that still won't return until mycommand is finished.  The advantage
of "start" in Windows is that you can use it to spin off another app or
even another shell.

I have some vague memory of using some fancy punctuation in some unix
shells to start a process but not wait until it finishes, but that must
have been over a month ago, because I can't remember how that goes.  I
have a book here that might help, if I remember where I put it.  In any
case, I wasn't able to do what I wanted with shell(), that is, to have
shell() return right away.  Hmmm.  I may have been working with pipes
and that complicated what I was doing.  I now use an external.

Dar