button stops working

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu Jun 2 16:54:09 EDT 2005

On 6/2/05 2:36 PM, Jon wrote:

 > I Applied/Saved every script I could
 > find.  Some of them did not "take": after I saved them, the Apply
 > buttons would go back to black again, spontaneously, as if I had never
 > done the Saves.

This is probably because there were compile errors and the script
couldn't be applied or saved. Check for an error dialog window when that
happens, which will tell you what the problem is. If you have many
script windows open, you may have missed it. The error initially is
displayed on top of everything else, but it is possible to click on
another window while it is open and it will get pushed into the background.

 > Eventually I just killed every script editor.  Then it REALLY hit the
 > fan.

Yeah. Most of the buttons I looked at had at least one compile error.
So, not surprising.

 > There were LOTS of "do you want to save changes or not" messages,
 > over and over again, as if there were lots of hidden instances of
 > editors and lots of hidden instances of unsaved script text.

Probably that was indeed the case. If you try to apply a script
containing an error, it won't compile and it won't save. Every time you
try to close the editor, you'll get the same dialog again until the
script is fixed. It was probably asking you about the same script
repeatedly.

 >  I got out
 > of Rev and came back in.  Some of the bottons still don't work.
 >
 > Rev seems to be pretty buggy to me. Painfully so for a commercial
product.

So far, it sounds like it is doing what it is supposed to. If you have a
script you cannot fix at the moment, just comment out the handlers
(select the lines and use the "Comment" feature in the Script menu.)
That will allow you to save the script and close the editor. You can go
back later, uncomment the script, and fix it when you have it figured out.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com