Shell command doesn't give feedback until done

Dar Scott dsc at swcp.com
Thu Jun 2 13:35:07 EDT 2005

On Jun 2, 2005, at 11:25 AM, Bill Vlahos wrote:

> I am using this command:  put shell(command()) into field "status"
> which works.

> The shell command could take a long time to run and it returns
> informational feedback during the process which would be good to
> display to the user.

On Windows you might be able to use 'open process', but some time ago I
found it bug ridden and not suitable for what I was doing.  In some
special case it might work.

On OS X you might be able to do something with Terminal and AppleScript.

If you can spin off the process and redirect the output to a file, you
might be able to monitor the file or the directory of the file.

Dar