use-revolution Digest, Vol 21, Issue 6

J. Landman Gay jacque at hyperactivesw.com
Thu Jun 2 12:26:20 EDT 2005

On 6/1/05 11:53 PM, Scott Slaugh wrote:

> Might I point out that the entire generation of which you speak is not
> entirely made up of those who see nothing wrong with file sharing and
> lack the same ethical perspective as does your generation.

Apologies -- I didn't mean to imply that the whole group was bad. You
are clearly one of the good guys, and I know there are others. I hope I
am never guilty of sterotyping an entire group.

I only meant to point out that file sharing is largely seen these days
as a much more acceptable behavior than ever before, and younger people
have not grown up in a time when it was as roundly condemned as it was
in the past. Even those who are solidly against piracy (including people
of all generations) have probably swiped a music file or two without a
second thought. In this sense, I agree that times are changing. I am not
saying piracy is right (I am strongly against it,) only that public
opinion is not as harsh as it may have been in the past. And the
pre-teeners have never known values that were any different. They are
too young.

Out of wedlock pregnancy used to be so condemned that girls were whisked
away to live with mythical "aunts" out of town and hidden behind a veil
of secrecy. Now it is not only accepted, but commonplace. Times do
change. Doesn't make it necessarily right, but public opinion is never
static.

I do congratulate you for being honest -- it gives me hope.

Jacqueline Landman Gay         |     jacque at hyperactivesw.com