documentation organizational problems

Jeanne A. E. DeVoto revolution at jaedworks.com
Thu Jun 2 01:10:10 EDT 2005

At 3:24 PM -0400 6/1/2005, Jon wrote:
>Unlike programming languages like Delphi, C, or Java, methods are
>not explicitly associated with objects in Revolution.  This means
>that it is very difficult to use the Rev documentation to find all
>of the methods (commands) for images, or for string manipulation.

I don't think that's a documentation issue (to the extent that it's
an "issue", rather than a difference of approach) so much as a
language issue; some commands do operate on specific objects, but
most don't.

Properties and messages, on the other hand, do apply to specific
object types. You can find these lists in the documentation: click
the Objects icon, then click Objects in the list, then the object
type you're interested in. (For example, to list the messages that
can be sent to a field, click the Objects icon, then click Objects,
then Field, then Message.)

>Am I the only one who finds this to be awkward, time consuming, and
>frustrating?  Are there any discussions about how to manipulate
>strings, with functions similar to (or better than!) traditional
>Pascal routines like Extract, SubString, Copy, Insert, Delete, Pos,
>etc?

You might find "About chunk expressions" enlightening - it's a whole
different approach but it becomes very natural very quickly, even for
people who are more used to traditional string manipulation. Click
the Topics icon in the documentation, then click "Text and Data
Processing", then click "Chunk expressions", to read it.
jeanne a. e. devoto ~ revolution at jaedworks.com
http://www.jaedworks.com