documentation organizational problems

Brian Yennie briany at qldlearning.com
Wed Jun 1 19:09:31 EDT 2005

> And then I tried to do some string manipulations (change the string
> <"FRED"> to the string <FRED>, that is, remove the quotes), and simply
> gave up: there is no section on how to manage strings.

FWIW:

replace quote with empty in tString

or

replace (quote&"FRED"&quote) with "FRED" in tString

or use replaceText() for RegEx.

Depending on your needs.

> I know I'm coming from another programming environment, and I don't
> expect it to be trivial, but when I can't find any information at all,
> I get frustrated.  I can't be the first one...

No doubt. The docs have made big strides but users new to the language
are still struggling, and your comments are exactly what the authors
need to continue to improve them. I'm totally biased and only stabbing
at the problem as I have many years of experience with xTalk languages-
your feedback is what needs to be heard on the docs.

The good news is that for almost any possible task, this list is
exceptionally responsive. Not a replacement for documentation, but a
big plus nevertheless. Also, the list archives can be very helpful.

- Brian