MySQL Connection error

Alan Golub asg618 at mac.com
Sat Jul 30 22:11:04 EDT 2005

I've been toying around with the Database Query Builder lately, thinking
about writing a tutorial for new users. I've used it in the past with
PostgreSQL 8, connecting to localhost without any problems. But for the sake
of a tutorial, I thought I'd go with MySQL, which seems to be far more
popular, and for Mac OS X at least, much easier to install now that MySQL AB
provides native OS X installers.

But I can't seem to connect to MySQL from DQB. I've checked and double
checked the host, user name, password, database name, and port number, all
without success. I keep getting the following error message:

"There was an error in connecting to the database. Please check that the
connection fields are correct. Revdb error: Client does not support
authentication protocol requested by server, consider upgrading MySQL
client."

The client fields are definitely correct (I'm using them to connect to the
server from other GUI MySQL tools). I'm using Revolution Studio 2.6 and
MySQL 4.1.13 on Tiger 10.4.2.

Any thoughts or workarounds?

Thanks-
Alan Golub