Spotlight indexing: feature request proposal

Joel Guillod joel.guillod at net2000.ch
Sun Jul 31 14:07:57 EDT 2005

As far as I understand the indexing of stacks by Spotlight (MacOSX),
scripts only are used as the text to index. Of course this is of very
high value for developers and I am willing this feature. But on the
other side it could impair security if the password of the stack has
not been set (what I never do, at least during development cycle).
Also indexing the content of fields would be also very usefull (even
more than scripts for content management stacks). Do you agree? I am
considering to fill a request feature in bz and would like to get
user's feedback first. So please tell me more what you think about
this idea:

I propose the addition of two new stack properties for telling
Spotlight how to index stacks:
- the <spotlightScript> of this stack: if true the scripts of the
stack is indexed by Spotlight. If false, no script indexing is done
for the stack.
- the <spotlightText> of this stack: if true the content of fields
and titles of objects are indexed by Spotlight. If false, objects
content indexing is not done for the stack.
By default both properties are true (i.e. when the stack is created).
When creating a substack, its spotlight properties are default to the
value of its mainstack but they can be changed independantly from the
mainstack.

Nice to read your coming comments.

jg