ANN: Sudoku Assistant

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Sat Jul 30 17:20:14 EDT 2005

Alex Tweedly wrote:

>> It occurred to me it would be way cool if I could take a puzzle from
>> a magazine, enter the givens in your assistant and save it. I know
>> you have a mechanism for loading a text file with a known format
>> that  would also accomplish that but unless you have plans to
>> implement  that, I may take a crack at it.
>>
> That would be very easy - I'll do that at the same time as I fix the
> spelling mistakes in the Help info and re-upload to RevOnline in an
> hour or so ....

OK, done.
Beware that it does NOT make any sanity check on the puzzle as you save
it - so if you have specified some values that do not permit any
possible completion - it gets saved. Even if you have already got to a
blocking point (with "?s showing), it gets saved.
The file format is the same as used for loading - so every square is
either a known, fixed, single digit - or is shown as "x". So if you are
working through a puzzle, and have reduced the number of possible values
in other squares - possibly down to a single remaining value - they are
nevertheless all shown as "x". It is only those squares that you have
defined that get their digit in the file.

btw - it's still faster to edit the file by hand :-)
Depends on whether your a "command line, text editor" user or a GUI guy :-)

Also fixed some typos in Help, removed the annoying "put ... msg", and
added version number (1.1)
Didn't manage reproduce the "square goes blank" problem yet.