Getting the type code of a file under OSX

Eric Chatonet eric.chatonet at sosmartsoftware.com
Sat Jul 30 08:02:18 EDT 2005

Last one was not perfect since the default folder is not restored
when an error occurs:
Just invert  "if tFile = empty then return "Error: could not find
file" and "set the defaultFolder to tDefaultFolder" lines.
Is this one the last one?
:-)

Best Regards from Paris,

Eric Chatonet.

Le 30 juil. 05 à 13:19, Eric Chatonet a écrit :

> Hi Dave,
>
> You are perfectly right: I missed this one.
> So a reliable function could be:
>
> function CreatorAndType pFilePath
>   local tDefaultFolder,tFile,tCreatorType
>   -----
>   if the platform <> "MacOs" then return "Error: filetype not
> supported"
>   put the defaultFolder into tDefaultFolder
>   set the itemdel to slash
>   set the defaultFolder to item 1 to -2 of pFilePath
>   put urlDecode(the detailed files) into tFile
>   filter tFile with item - 1 of pFilePath & ",*"
>   if tFile = empty then return "Error: could not find file"
>   set the defaultFolder to tDefaultFolder
>   set the itemDel to comma
>   put item 11 of tFile into tCreatorType
>   if tCreatorType = empty then return "Error: could not find the
> filetype"
>   return char 1 to 4 of item 11 of tFile & comma & char 5 to 8 of
> item -1 of tFile
> end CreatorAndType
>

> Le 30 juil. 05 à 13:07, Dave Cragg a écrit :
>

>> On 30 Jul 2005, at 10:40, Eric Chatonet wrote:
>>

>>> Hi Brian,
>>>
>>> As the files function returns a list sorted by alphabetical
>>> order, I don't think it's necessary.
>>>

>> But, for example, if you were looking for a file named "mend.png"
>> and there was a file named "amend.png" in the folder, you'd find
>> "amend.png".
>>
>> A bit cumbersome, but when I've done this, I've repeated through
>> all lines in the detailed files and done a match on the first item
>> in each.
>>
>> Cheers
>> dave

So Smart Software