Mac->Win revisited

Alex Tweedly alex at tweedly.net
Wed Jul 27 16:50:07 EDT 2005

Charles Hartman wrote:

> On Jul 27, 2005, at 3:29 PM, Alex Tweedly wrote:
>
>>> 2. Is there some way to quit the Dreamcard Player in Windows
>>> without  Ctrl-Alt-Delete? Do I have to build an entire menu system
>>> just for  that, which I have no use for in the Mac version?
>>>

>> Quit the Player itself, or the stack you are currently "playing" ?
>>
>> In either case, AFAICT, the usual Windows methods work OK
>>   - Alt-F4
>>   - the little X icon in the title bar
>>   -  right-click on title bar and select Close
>

> I want (the user no matter how addled to be able) to quit the Player.
>
> But the little X icon in the title bar does _not_ do it.

Yes it does work, exactly as I and other Windows users would expect it
to work.  It closes the app (or window) in whose title bar you are at
the time (or which has focus when you do Alt-F4). That's what Windows
*always* does.

> That closes  (each) stack, but leaves the Player sitting there in
> memory. Not  being used to Windows, it took me a while to find that
> out. I  certainly don't trust my users to know it. So I'm putting a
> nice, big  QUIT button on the menu/map substack.

I'd be inclined to expect your users to know it - standard Windows
behaviour. Why should closing one window/instance close any others ?

Using a button linked to a script containing a "quit" should do what you
want - though I personally think that's a bug. See BZ 2596 and 2597.

A "quit" in a stack within the player causes the entire player to quit
*including* any other stack currently running within that player. You
can run any number of stacks within a Player (and cannot run multiple
instances of the Player) - so if you need to have two stacks running
simultaneously, and one "quit"s, the other exits also, taking with it
potentially any unsaved work.

btw - I think I had one stack that tried to use "quit" and it didn't
work - but after I discovered the problems in 2597, I stopped trying to
do it, so didn't pursue that issue all the way to the end ... so make
sure you test it thoroughly (as if I had to say that, sorry).