Mac -> Win problems

Phil Davis davis.phil at comcast.net
Tue Jul 26 18:08:48 EDT 2005

Charles Hartman wrote:
> On Jul 26, 2005, at 4:11 PM, Phil Davis wrote:
-- snip --
>> - you can display a screenshot of the field and not the field  itself.
>> This is my current favorite, because it's air-tight as long  as (1)
>> you're only dealing with screen displays, not printing, and  (2) the
>> displayed text will never need to be selected or edited by  the end
>> user. This option also lets you use whatever font you like,  without
>> regard to cross-platform anything.
>

> If I understand what you're suggesting there at the end, it has the
> same problem as the other solution I thought of: having alternative
> versions of the text field in question, and replacing the initial
> version (hey, presto) with a new one each time a button is pressed.  But
> it runs into a problem combinatorial explosion. If one card has  (say)
> four "hiding" fields to be hidden (revealing the underlying  marks), I
> have no way to predict the order in which the user will  click the
> buttons to do each of them. So I would need, just for that  card,
> sixteen versions of the field. Same with screenshots, as far as  I can
> see. Since there are several dozen cards in this section of the  stack,
> that's beginning to look like drudgery on a scale I can't afford.

Sorry if I lost something in the translation here, but... If your text
(and the field) always had the exact same metrics throughout on both
platforms, wouldn't that make your cover fields always work? If so, it
seems to me that's what you'd get by using a screenshot of your field
instead of the field itself.

Feel free to correct me...

Phil