Another Doc Thought

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Tue Jul 26 02:47:19 EDT 2005

Dan Shafer wrote:
> Yes, indeed, brother Richard, that IS the question, is it not?
>
> I think what we're hearing here -- and I'm certainly interpolating --
> is a cry for the book described at RevCon West as an "architecture"
> book. A book that shows in painstaking detail, step by step through  the
> IDE and the language, how to build various kinds of applications.  That
> is a huge task. Huge.

Very.

But if we could teach the art of dissection, the people could learn from
existing code without need as much explanation.

Am I dreaming?

I learned so much dissecting HyperCard and SuperCard examples, almost as
much as the dictionaries.  Never really read much of anything else from
either of those products but the dictionary and sample code.  Maybe
that's helpful, or maybe I'm just a freak.

> (BTW, there's another issue for me that probably doesn't concern  anyone
> else. When people on the list contribute free documentation- like things
> -- tutorial stacks, how-tos, etc. -- I want at one and  the same time to
> applaud loudly and groan quietly. Because, you see,  if someone ELSE is
> writing something on the same topic and perhaps  putting in a lot of
> effort and time and energy with the hope of  selling the product and
> someone else comes along and offers something  -- even if not quite as
> good or complete -- for free, it crushes the  spirit if not the market.
> A clearing-house for volunteer effort would  help avoid such things but
> that begs the question of who would set up  and manage such a thing.

I can't imagine there are that many potentially in conflict.  Maybe the
RevDocs group could be used for that?

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Fourth World Media Corporation