[WARN] Inserting Any Plugin in the AltPluginToolbar

Richard Gaskin ambassador at fourthworld.com
Mon Jul 25 13:45:07 EDT 2005

Stephen Barncard wrote:
> Why not make your plugs compatible with Chipp's Alt Bar, since you don't
> have a 'bar' of your own?
> There really is no 'architecture'. they're still just plugins.

Yet they require modification to work there.

And that would be the case with devolution too, if you wanted them
automatically updated.  And with any other toolkit out there which could
provide support for other people's tools.

Interoperability between plugins can be very valuable, but it would be
combersome for me to require that others add properties and objects just
to work with mine, and then to add similar but differently-named
properties to work with Chipp's, and similar but differently-named
properties to work with Eric's, and so on with every new toolkit that
comes along.

Could there be a single set of conventions which could be used by all
plugin authors to allow interoperability among all toolkits?

That's the central question of the Rev Interoperability Group:

As announced in Malta last year and explained in greater detail at
RevCon West last month, RIP is an open working group for arriving at
common solutions for things most of us are doing but had been doing
differently from one another.  Everything the group recommends is
inherently optional and extensible, so one can adopt them or not to the
degree that they want their tools and toolkits to work well with those
from other authors and still provide any additional functionality unique
to their toolkit with no penalty.

The first deliverable from the RIP working group is the Edinburgh Core
Metadata Initiative (ECMI).  Modelled largely on the popular Dublin Core
Metadata Initiative (but with a geographic reference to our friends at
RunRev <g>), ECMI provides a set of conventions fort custom properties
which support a wide range of common tool and project management tasks,
including version control, automated updating, and more.

Chipp has made contributions to the group, and Eric, Ken, Paul, myself,
and others are in the process of updating our tools to use these
conventions.

The initial draft of ECMI is available in the Files section of that
group.  Tools for authors to help set up and manage those properties are
in development by Eric, Ken, and myself, and should be available before
the draft is finalized.

The group is open to participation by anyone who has an interest in
making Rev tools for others.  Feel free to join in the discussion there.

--
  Richard Gaskin
  Managing Editor, revJournal