array info request (was: Re: Rant Re Rev Documentation)

keith keith at vortex.co.uk
Mon Jul 25 12:00:04 EDT 2005

Sometime around 25/7/05 (at 01:19 -0400) Thomas McGrath III said:

>I always learn best by example.

Absolutely!
Speaking of learning by example (or any other method, I'm not fussy!
;-) is there anything around that could help me get my head around
arrays? Some kind of simple guide that doesn't start out at too high
a level? Gotta start sometime! :-)

I've made a bit of headway by dissecting and rebuilding a few simple
things from past threads in this list, so I can put the contents of a
set of fields into a line in an array in a card's user property and
then pull specific elements (items?) back out again.

What I'm wondering is whether arrays would be a useful way to store
data which is to be accessed by more than one person across a
network? There're perhaps 30 different fields and popup menus, and
some of the fields will contain a few paragraphs of text each. (Yes,
paragraphs. So returns have to be accepted in the data, in case that
makes any difference.)

I had been experimenting with using a text file on a networked
computer (as suggested here), with the first item on each line
flagging whether it could be edited or not. Editing a record involves
reading the record, parsing the data into fields, making the changes
there, then writing it all back out to the same record again.

I'm hoping to add search abilities, and I wondered if using a data
array might be more efficient... but I'm definitely fairly in the
dark about these structures!

I presume an array is a kind of data structure that has to be stored
in a stack in some way, perhaps as a user property? It seems to be
layered in a more complex dimensional way than can be represented in
a flat text file. Or am I assuming more complications than there
actually are?