Rant Re Rev Documentation

Jim Hurley jhurley at infostations.com
Mon Jul 25 11:25:10 EDT 2005

>Message: 9
>Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2005 01:19:16 -0400
>From: Thomas McGrath III <3mcgrath at adelphia.net>
>Subject: Re: Rant Re Rev Documentation
>To: How to use Revolution <use-revolution at lists.runrev.com>
>
>Tim, Judy,
>
>To be fair I didn't respond to this part of Tim's request/rant because
>I thought it would be too daunting. It would be nice to have though. I
>always learn best by example. Sarah's stack on serial commands was very
>helpful, also some of the stacks/ideas that I found most helpful were:
>window shapes
>serial commands
>drawer examples
>password/encryption
>picture sliders/progress bars
>gif buttons/animated
>geometry hints and help
>player and quicktime and video grabber
>rotate images
>speech recognition and text speaking
>application icons
>screen saver/backdropper
>file path and preferences
>tabs and how they work
>text manipulation/hypertext
>printing/pdfs/export to file
>XML/tree view
>menus/ pop ups
>Unicode (the one thing I have yet to get to work right)
>Games/Colliding objects/moving balls
>drag and drop- internal and external
>Audio/wav/mp3 - recording and playback
>Midi
>Chat/Email

I like this list. I could benefit from a lesson on almost all of these topics

I also like the suggestion made be others to have sample
applications, something akin to the HC home stack.

And to show that there is money where my mouth is, the kind of thing
I have in mind is illustrated in the following Turtle Graphics "home
stack":

    go stack url "http://home.infostations.net/jhurley/TurtleGraphics.rev"

After you have punched all the buttons you should know whether TG, as
an addendum to Transcript, would be of any  use to you.

It would be nice to have a similar set of stacks for the topics in
Tom's list above.

Maybe his list might be fleshed-out by others on this user list,
followed by a pledge drive: Volunteers to take a topic or two.

I appreciate what Jean says about a short illustration handler for
each item in Transcript dictionary, al la Kamens, Winkler, DeVoto.
Lots of work. But it sure would be nice.

(I would like to comment on the excellence of Dan Shafer's book, but
it hasn't arrived yet, although ordered back in February--sloooooow
delivery.)

Jim