3D?

Lynch, Jonathan bnz2 at cdc.gov
Fri Jul 22 15:40:45 EDT 2005

I believe that in part it depends on whether you are using the
points/splines/surfaces approach or the 3D pixel approach.

The points/splines/surfaces approach uses much less data, although the
math is a bit more complex. I know that the 3D programs I have played
with use points/splines/surfaces.

I had the idea to store the data as 3D pixels, but where you only store
info for pixels that exist. For a small object, calculating the first
intersecting point between a line extending from the notional viewing
window and the object should not be too hard, and should allow the use
of fast commands like intersect.

But even for that, think about an image that is 100x100 - that's 10,000
pixels, each of which requires some calculation to figure out. Pixel by
pixel image processing in transcript is not that fast.