Project Registry (was Ransomware)

SimPLsol at aol.com SimPLsol at aol.com
Wed Jul 20 19:23:59 EDT 2005

Dan,
     Between your letter and this reply, Dennis wrote a better answer than I
could have. Yes, we are talking about something beyond Ransomeware.
     I think you and I are looking at this from two different perspectives -
which is good. You are looking out for the developer's interests, I am looking
at this as an investor. From an investor's perspective ransomeware has
problems:
     1. Any money you put into it is gone. You may or may not get your
product. You may or may not like the charity to which you have donated. You have no
chance to reinvest the money in another product - or the same product with a
different developer.
     2. There is no mechanism (e.g., a moderator) to make the inevitable
adjustments that occur in any sizable project.
     3. Not only is there no escrow, there is no real money. This makes it
hard to encourage serious developers.
     4. The ransom model seems to be geared toward helping developers with
ideas find investors. This is good. But the escrow model equally encourages
investors to find developers for their ideas.

     The escrow model IS more complicated but the structure benefits everyone
on both sides of the process - and it scales much better than the ransom
model, accommodating all but the largest and most complicated projects.
     The end product from the escrow model can be either open source or
commercial - this must be disclosed at the beginning of any request. Ransomeware
does not (as I view it) lend itself to commercial products.

     Both methods need a Registry (or some other means of communication
between investors and developers). I have pledged $100 to start building this
registry. Since there is no registry until the registry is built, I volunteer to
keep a list of pledges and will find a trusted third party to hold actual funds
if we get that far in this experiment.
Paul Looney