NPR puzzle

Mark Wieder mwieder at ahsoftware.net
Wed Jul 20 13:46:18 EDT 2005

Eric-

Wednesday, July 20, 2005, 7:52:08 AM, you wrote:

How'd you manage to get 30 milliseconds run time? The best I can do is
about 130. Is your machine just that much faster than mine? Here's the
fastest code I could come up with - any suggestions on speeding it up?

on mouseUp
  local tLine, tTestString
  local x
  local tBlnPossible
  local tDictionary, tElements, tPossibles
  local tTime

  put "working..." into field "status"
  put empty into field "possibles"

  put the milliseconds into tTime
  put field "dictionary" into tDictionary
  put field "elements" into tElements

  repeat for each line tLine in tDictionary
    put true into tBlnPossible
    repeat with x=1 to 9 step 2
      put char x to x+1 of tLine into tTestString
      if tTestString is not among the lines of tElements then
        put false into tBlnPossible
        exit repeat
      end if
    end repeat
    if tBlnPossible then
      put tLine & cr after tPossibles
    end if
  end repeat
  put the milliseconds - tTime && "milliseconds" into field "elapsed"

  put tPossibles into field "possibles"
  put "found" && the number of lines in field "possibles" \
      && "possible answers" into field "status"
end mouseUp

--
-Mark Wieder
 mwieder at ahsoftware.net