[Slightly OT] Ransomware as a Model for Rev Toolmaking?

Jim Bufalini yoursignup at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 19 19:06:27 EDT 2005

Dennis,

That is the way I read it, too. It's not for developing full scale
applications, as it is for developing tools that are important to the
community. The *profit* is that, while one group of people are financing the
development of one tool, another group is financing the development of
another tool. The developers get compensated. The investors pay less each,
than if they had to fund the whole development individually, and the
community benefits, including the developers, by having an increased toolset
of tools that were deemed important enough, that at least a few people voted
for with their dollars (or euros or whatever).

However, this is a financial model, and not to be pessimistic, but there is
more to it than just the idea. You need responsible third parties, maybe
escrows, signoff criterion (which investorS means committee - always
tricky), etc. Easier to talk about than do.

Jim