embed/install font

Brad Borch brad at activadesign.com
Tue Jul 19 09:29:39 EDT 2005

Thanks for all the help. Let's see if I understand this process:

Mac:
1. "Load" the font files as binaries into custom properties, probably
properties of a stack, like so:

set the myStoredFont of stack "My Stack" to URL "binfile:VeraMono.ttf"

2. At runtime, check if the fonts are installed on the target machine.
If the are not, "unload" the custom properties by writing out to the
user's font directory, effectively installing the fonts, like so:

put the myStoredFile of stack "My Stack" into URL
binfile:~/Library/Fonts/VeraMono.ttf"

3. The application then needs to be re-launched.

Windows:

1. Using a third-party installer tool, create an installer that stores
the font files in itself.

2. "Load" the installer as a binary into a custom property, probably a
property of a stack, like so:

set the myStoredInstaller of stack "My Stack" to URL
"binfile:myInstaller.exe"

3. "Unload" that custom property back out to the user's hard drive like so:

put the myStoredInstaller of stack "My Stack" into URL
binfile:/temp/myInstaller.exe"

4. Run the installer. The installer has the ability to locate the
appropriate folder for fonts based on which Win flavor, and update the
registry to point to the new fonts.

5. Delete the installer when done. The app doesn't need to be
re-launched because the registry has been updated?

Is this right? Also, if I'm distributing on CD, what would be the
benefit of "sucking up" the files as custom properties?