[Slightly OT] Ransomware as a Model for Rev Toolmaking?

Bob Hartley rev at armbase.com
Tue Jul 19 02:39:57 EDT 2005

You wrote:

Hi Dan

> A friend of mine pointed me to an intriguing business concept called
> "RansomWare" and as I thought about it, it seemed there might be some
> possible use for it in the Rev developer community. Under this model, a
> developer offers to produce a given product, sets a development price
> threshold for it, and asks people to commit what they would be willing to
> pay for such a product if he were to produce it.
> Once the threshold is reached, the developer completes and releases the
> product free to the entire community.

Thsi was how the firefox porting project was funded for RISC OS
http://www.riscos.info/unix/firefox/

there used to be a UNIX porting project that was a subscription based system
to port UNIX aps (well develop a X11 lib) to RISC OS.

Then one of the main developers partially ported Firefox and showed a
partially working browser. He started a pledge'o'meter, whereby he asked for
donations to finish it. Once the donations started to roll in he continued
to work on it with the understanding that it woudl be released if they
reached 100% of the pledges.

Now RISC OS has an up to date browser.

All the best
Bob