[Slightly OT] Ransomware as a Model for Rev Toolmaking?

Dan Shafer revdan at danshafer.com
Tue Jul 19 00:01:20 EDT 2005

A friend of mine pointed me to an intriguing business concept called
"RansomWare" and as I thought about it, it seemed there might be some
possible use for it in the Rev developer community. Under this model,
a developer offers to produce a given product, sets a development
price threshold for it, and asks people to commit what they would be
willing to pay for such a product if he were to produce it. In one
model, these people provide concrete evidence of their willingness to
participate by actually paying the amount they commit to; in another
model, they simply promise to do so when the product is finished and
released.

Once the threshold is reached, the developer completes and releases
the product free to the entire community. If the threshold isn't
reached, meaning the community doesn't find the need for the tool
compelling enough to fork over the threshold amount, the moneys that
have been contributed, if any, are donated to a charity announced in
advance.